Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I Have No Idea What I’m Doing

The idea for The Trip slowly materialized over many years. I don’t know when it first occurred to me to ride a motorcycle from California to South America. I remember fantasizing about quitting my job to travel around the world via trains & planes. I remember planning a motorcycle trip down the Baja peninsula to Cabo San Lucas (that never happened). I remember just wanting to chuck it all away. Marriage. Business casual. Los Angeles. The dull and numbing boredom of life.

The Trip is still coming together. Any number of things could derail it, and it very well may never happen. However, a major component to an epic adventure is the preparation. As of today, I have no idea what I’m doing. I have a terrible sense of direction and very limited mechanical ability. I only know a little bit of Spanish. I’ve never taken a motorcycle off road. I am completely unprepared. I have no idea what I’m doing.

However. I do have a heavily modified KLR650 named “Kinky”, a piece of real estate I plan on selling to fund the trip, and plenty of motivation to get the hell out of here.

KLR 650 "Kinky" 5,700 miles, many upgrades:  $5,500

1 comment:

  1. Inspirational Jack! I just moved to SoCal(LBC) from south Fla(Miami) 2 months ago completely solo. Since... I have sold my car and bought almost the identical klr as you, also 2nd hand. All before ever seeing this blog too.... I have been adapting a set of ideals for a more free humanity , seemingly at odds with the "status quo", or "powers that be". I am Considering pursuing my FREEDOM on the "road" too. So, thank you for the always welcome uplifting spirits!

    And remember... http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/bobdylan142058.html

    ReplyDelete